Welcome to Umpiring at Queenscliff for 2019
With the Umpire Your Own format being implemented this season, there are a few changes to the way we are used to doing things. However, some things will remain very similar. Please read over the following carefully so you understand the system.
Manly Warringah Netball Association (MWNA) is made up of around 4,500 players. All the roles within the Association are volunteer roles, from the President through the Executive and across all Committees. No one has nominated to fulfill the role of Umpires Convenor for MWNA in 2019 and so we find ourselves in the situation of Umpire Your Own. The responsibility of Umpiring has been placed firmly on the MWNA Clubs, from scheduling to development and all organisation regarding this.
MWNA have kept their fees lower than most other Associations as we operate as a Volunteer Association. Other Associations’ charge more and have paid contractors in roles such as these given the hours spent in the role each week.
If you know anyone interested in volunteering as the MWNA Coaching Convenor please let us know. The role of Umpires Convenor would require a volunteer who has 15-20 hours to give. If anyone would like to put their hand up, MWNA would be very appreciative.
HOW IT WORKS
Umpire Your Own works when we all contribute to the process. We are umpiring for our own Club members, so think of it as a service to your club. The better our umpires, the better it is for our club members. In essence every Team will be responsible for providing an Umpire to the Roster for each round. We ask that Queenscliff Netball Club Umpires are fair, firm and focused when Umpiring – for both Teams.
Schedules will be rolled out on weekly intervals throughout the Season based on info received from MWNA and whether we need to adjust the process from a Club’s perspective. However, we anticipate that after the first three (3) weeks/games, the rest of Round One (1) will be allocated all at once – sometime around Easter / Anzac Day. Round Two (2) will be allocated at a later date.
Any changes to allocations need to be advised by 5pm on the Wednesday before a Game.
We understand issues arise on the day however, please note, if you are unable to fulfil your duty, the team you are scheduled to umpire may suffer a loss by forfeit.
Please ensure you find a replacement who is capable of umpiring the age and grade.
Alternatively, access the paid pool of umpires to do your allocated match. Any payment to Umpires is direct, should take place prior to the Game and any agreement entered into between the “payee” ie. The Team / Individual and “paid umpire” is not the responsibility of the Queensliff Netball Club.
Should you need to find a replacement umpire, please inform the QNC Umpires’ Convenor – Gill Anderson – of the change i.e. name and contact details before 5pm Friday evening,
Email email@example.com and text 0412 804 311.
If we do not receive notification of change, we will assume allocations will take place as noted in the roster.
UMPIRE YOUR OWN POLICY
This Policy document has been drafted in conjunction with the MWNA 2019 Umpire Your Own Guidelinesincluded in the MWNA Umpires Convenor Manual. In 2019 MWNA Council has resolved that the umpiring allocations will not be allocated neutrally but every Club will provide their own umpires on their Club games. Our Club has drafted the underneath guidelines to all teams and umpires to abide by.
- Our Club will devise an umpiring roster within our Club structure. The roster will be based on a similar system to the neutral umpiring system used in 2018. i.e Cadets to umpire 15’s, 14’s to umpire 12’s etc.
Senior teams playing at 2.20 pm will provide umpires for the 1.00 pm and/or 40 pm timeslot. Senior teams playing at 3.40 pm will provide umpires for 2.20 pm timeslot as much as is practical. Sometimes teams will need to umpire outside of this schedule as dictated by the Club’s needs.
- A roster will be devised by our Club’s umpire committee before the beginning of the season. This roster will be emailed to every team Coach and Manager showing the Season’s allocations. Junior girls and cadets will be rostered on by the Committee. Senior teams need to send the names of their umpires in to the Umpires Convenor before the start of the Competition for the first three (3) Games.
- Only one (1) umpire will be provided per Round. A standby umpire will also be required on occasion.
- Each week confirmation of your umpire’s names will need to be confirmed with the Umpires Convenor.
- Every umpire must be a registered member of MWNA. MWNA Executive along with the Queenscliff Umpires Convenor reserves the right to remove an umpire who is not insured. Please have non players register for insurance purposes at NON PLAYERS REGO
- Umpires are to be dressed in accordance with MWNA By-Laws. Registered Club uniform or whites/cream. Umpires wearing club uniform must wear a distinctive Bib or T-shirt over the top of their Club uniform, so they stand out from the playing team. These will be provided by Queenscliff Netball Club.
- All umpires to provide their own whistle
- All umpires to be capable of umpiring that allocated age group and grade
- All Umpires must check in at the Queenscliff tent 30mins priorto the allocated Game time. They must arrive at their rostered court at least 15mins prior to the start of the match. Checking in at the Queenscliff Tent before heading to the Court is vital and they must not go directly to their court, as court changes may occur.
- If a Club allocated umpire does not show up for their duty, then the playing team will be responsible for providing an umpire for the game.
- If an umpire has not been supplied, a forfeit can be claimed at one minute after the game’s commencement by the other Team.
- Failure to check in 15 minutes prior to game timewill result in stand-by umpires being allocated to the game.
For the no-show Umpire this will result in additional umpiring allocationfor their Team, in addition to financial penaltiesbeing allocated @ $40 per game to cover the cost of the standby Umpires.
Failure to honour these penalties within a two (2) week window could result in de-registration for the player/s involved.
- Umpires who have other roles on a Saturday (playing, coaching, mentoring, managing) may sign in for their game during an earlier timeslot to avoid racing between courts and the tent during games. These Umpires must still arrive at the appointed court 15 mins prior.
- The umpire must check in personally for their duty. Parents and coaches are not permitted to check in for an umpire. (This allows the person on duty to physically see an umpire).
- Any disputes during a Game are to be directed to our Club Umpires’ Convenor on 0412 804 311 .
- All Australia Netball rules must apply to all games: All umpires are to control the game for four (4) quarters and must not swap mid game unless for injury. Umpires must not score as well as umpire.
- A forfeit is to be claimed if All Australia Netball rules are breached.
- Team Managers are to advise the Umpires Convenor of any rostered umpire that does not fulfil their duty.